Snoring can be a tremendously annoying habit of a person, and it is a must to make a way to prevent it from happening again. Adults usually experience the condition of snoring, and they usually consider using snoring devices to immediately stop the horrible condition. But when thinking about adults and snoring devices, one could get a bit worried when it comes to snoring old people. The old adults, meaning 50-year olds and above, can be sensitive to new kinds of devices to be used for their illnesses or conditions. Are snoring devices safe for them?
The answer here is yes and no. For the elderly, there are various pros and cons about them using snoring devices, especially snoring mouthpieces or mouth guards. To fully enlighten about the topic, here are the reasons why snoring devices can be safe or not for the old adults:
Reasons Why Snoring Devices are Safe
- Most of the snoring devices are modeled to be safe for every age group. Snoring devices are meant to save lives, not to kill people in their sleep. Even children can use a snoring device if it is really needed and recommended; so that means even the elderly can be safe with using snoring devices.
- There are different types of snoring devices that can be chosen based on the person’s conditions or sensitivities. The person could have nasal decongestion, sinus problems, or anything that significantly affects his or her snoring; these should be taken account of to ensure that the snoring device is appropriate for the person who is going to use it.
- A doctor will never recommend it if it’s not safe. When it comes to snoring, consulting a doctor or a specialist is a must even before considering to buy a snoring device. When the doctor says that it is okay or recommended that the person uses one, then that means it will improve the person’s health. The doctor or specialist aims to improve the person’s biological status and in no way will endanger the person’s well-being.
- They are made with non-toxic materials or soft fabrics. Mouth guards and mouthpieces are custom fitted and are made with non-toxic resins that will not harm the mouth or any part of the body that it will make contact with. That is also the same with the other types of snoring devices; they are made up of materials that will have no to little effect on the person’s face or body, unless the person does have particular allergies with the materials used. Allergic reactions should be reported to the doctor or specialist before buying a snoring device.
Reasons Why Snoring Devices are Not Safe
- Choosing the wrong type of snoring device can be dangerous. This is a warning for all snoring device users. It is a must to consult a doctor or specialist about buying snoring devices, because the person should be observed or asked about his or her sleeping conditions before choosing a type.
- Mouthpieces and mouth guards may induce choking when not put on properly. An elderly person may be recommended to use mouthpieces for sleep apnea, or mouth guards for minor snoring conditions. The person should practice on using the device so that no choking will ensue.